7

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Waters

the  waters  why'd  they  welcome  me  into
the  crux  of  my  troubles  such  that  we  do
see  the  stars  they  fall  and  watch  and  kill  and
myself  and   their  killers  they  watch  me  still
their  climbing  and  running  over  my  will
to  stop  so  cold  and  watch  my  friends  so  frail
so  dead  but  not  so  why  they  live  my  mail
inbox  is  crowded  space  is  flowing  so
jump  and  catch   the  star  that  kills  it  falls  and
stops  the  death  that  we  my  friends  that  we  INSTILL


______________________

I hope you enjoyed that! This is undoubtedly the most complex poem I've written in a while, at least from the perspective of authorial intent. I don't usually leave these little notes at the end of poems anymore, so as to leave the matter of interpretation up to the reader, but considering the thought that went into these verses, I felt I had to mention a couple things. First off, the grammar. There's no grammar and punctuation in this poem, basically making it a giant run-on sentence. In fact, in line five the word "they're" has been misspelled as "their", a common typo in unedited writing. This was very intentional. My hope with this piece was to create what might almost be described as a lazy conversation with language, and to shed light on the structural importance grammar has to writing. The lack thereof only serves the purpose of making things more ambiguous, not "easier", as many English students seem to think. In fact, it probably makes it harder. I invite you to add more grammar to the piece and to find the meaning change substantially each time.

There's also a bit of freedom in the lack of grammar, something contrasted with the almost strict meter and form. Form and freedom have always had a bit of an intertwined and ambiguous relationship in poetry. I guess ambiguity is arguably one of the deeper themes of this poem. Here you'll find the verses written in good old iambic pentameter, with the last line a single syllable extra, something I considered rectifying several times. That extra syllable alone can have multiple meanings. It's part of a critical word in the poem, arguably the most important, and there's really no easy way to take it out without impacting both the form and the freedom. I'll leave you to ponder that further.

I think that's all I have to say. I could say much more (I haven't even begun to talk about the actual "meaning" of the poem, for instance, or even the rhyme scheme), but I don't think I have any special authority there. I gave the poem meaning, I gave it substance, and now it'll be subject to whatever you want it to be subject to. In short, I have nothing of value to add that you can't add yourself. I talk about this more in my post "Some Thoughts On Art" if you're interested.

Welp, that's all I've got for you guys today. Be sure to leave your comments below! Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in the next post.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting poem, it has more the flow of a complex dance than a poem, and the lack of form emphasizes that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, every now and then I like to do something like that. This poem was very creatively stimulating for me, and tons of fun to write.

      Delete